Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Sunday, April 27, 2008

It's Official! My Culinary Adventures is Moving to Napa

Dear Reader, it's time to make the announcement that I am leaving my hometown of Los Angeles and I'm moving up to Napa in May. So now, not only will you be able to read of my culinary adventures in Los Angeles (I have a zillion of them that I haven't yet posted and I will be back many times a year to have Art cut my hair, The M Shop tune my car, and to eat plenty of dumplings and ramen) but also of my adventures in the foodie centric Napa Valley and Sonoma County areas.

So here is a preview of coming attractions. The Oxbow Public Market has opened since the last time that I was up there so Ms. Hollywood, who was so kind to drive me up there and give me so much support before my interview, and I mostly hung out there. For those of you who may not have heard of Oxbow, it's like a mini version of the San Francisco Ferry Building.

How lucky can I be? A Taylor's Refresher has opened up four blocks from my new job - the trick is to rent one of the houses across the street! It was so friggin good we went twice in one day.



This was the best calamari fritti that I've had in a long time. The coating was perfect, very crispy and not oily at all, and the calamari was fresh and had a wonderful texture.


Who doesn't get a burger when they go to Taylor's? Ok, I didn't and that was a mistake but I was so bloated that night that I opted to get a salad and fish tacos. The upshot was that I could fit into my skirt the next day but I was secretly coveting Ms. Hollywood's bacon cheddar burger. She took pity on me and gave me a piece of her burger. In the past I've always ordered my burgers without the "secret sauce" but after tasting it on the bacon cheddar burger I decided that I really liked it.


The kitchen of the Oxbow Wine Merchant. This place has a great small plate menu. Again, I opted for lighter food and stayed away from the charcuterie platter with meats from the Fatted Calf and instead ordered smoked trout pate, a salad, and a wonderful tomato soup with a swirl of pesto.






My new favorite place, the Oxbow Cheese Merchant (may I remind you Dear Reader that it's four blocks from my new job):


Oxbow Public Market
610 First Street
Napa, California 94559
http://www.oxbowpublicmarket.com/



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the move (and new job I assume?).
Looking forward in reading more delicious posts.

3:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Calamari and the burger pixs dripping with luscious cheese just gave me another reason to visit ya~ u better show me this place! wow... Ok, can't promise when but wanna go out there in the future... maybe, i'll get a position in SF or san jose area as an ATTY!? =) we'll see how that goes... congrats on your Nappa move but will MISS YOU GREATLY...=( You better keep in touch w/emails okay? from -cy-

2:27 PM

 
Blogger sku said...

Wow...I guess BV should be for Bon Voyage as well. Good luck in the wine country. We will miss your succulent, hunger-inducing pix of dumplings and BBQ! Now I'm really going to have to start upping my KBBQ intake to fill the gap (I haven't even made it to Park's yet).

Good luck!

PS. I grew up in Sonoma, so if you ever need any local recs, drop me a line (though I only get back about once per year so my recs may be outdated).

7:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I've come to like LA and its food a lot, but I miss Napa. Have you been to BarbersQ yet? And the burger at the Girl & the fig is awesome... And you have to go to Wild Flour Bread in Freestone...

So wonderful up there!

7:03 PM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Eileen: thanks for the best wishes!

CY: you are just going to have to come up one weekend!

Sku: I do need recs for Sonoma! I've been going up to Napa once or twice a year for the past ten years but have never made it over to Sonoma Co. Now that I'm up there it should be easy to drive over there on the weekends.

Nina: thanks for the recs! I haven't been to any of those places, the City of Napa is still rather new to me (and I can't seem to leave Oxbow!)

10:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck on your move and new job.
It all sounds so exciting. I look forward to reading about your Napa adventures.

9:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pics came out great. Looking at them makes me want more of that yummy tomato soup.

11:55 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, How are you my friend? how's work? people? Los Doggos all safe & sound?
Just dropping by to check out some savory dishes pixes...mmm...I remember that La Casita Mexicana was just wonderful!! I gotta go there again soon... I'm studying and it's stressful but ok...physically it's a full time job 9-10pm (breaks & meals in btwn). I'm thankful since there are no mosquitos or idiots giving me stress! =)

take care girl and talk to you soon. cy.

1:08 PM

 
Blogger 75 Pounds Lost said...

Okay--I've been away from blogs for way too many months. You're up here? Near MOI?? Did you *know* there aren't any decent dumpling shops in Napa? Did you *know* good food in Napa is super $$$? Did you know I live just over the hills to the east, in Green Valley?

Email me--we must meet and go dive-restaurant diving!!!

10:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the move! First of all the food and the place look great! The food reminds me of this place in Israel called Black. It is an amazing place!
If you ever visit Israel make sur to go to the Black. The food there is absolutely scrumptious! It is the most delicious place you will ever eat in!

This place you posted about looks incredible i think ill pay them a visit i live 10 minutes away from this place. Additionally, you, are making me so unbelievably hungry it is not even a little bit funny!

Thanks for posting!
Jeff

3:57 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi BV!.
Happy new Year 2009! How are you? how's work? Los doggos?
Remember me from LRK? did you get my Christmas card? Guess what? I got out of IP firm in Bev Hills and now I moved back to Montebello and working at City of Rosemead with a different stress-free new job. Even the Bev Hills IP firm is cutting people and before the ship sunk, I got out. I know...me with new jobs.. it's like I'm in a new one every 6 months or what? ha ha.
But I'm thankful that I got here because after grilling 3 hrs interview, I've been fortunate enough to be working as in-house paralegal job at Edison. Super nice people, EXCELLENT benefit and the pay is good & promotional opportunity too!! 10 min from my house. Since I cannot use email at work, I'm dropping a line to say hi. I hope all is well with you. Let me know how you are. cy

4:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home