Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Monday, February 18, 2008

Hae Jang Chon

Our table is loaded with food but we’ve only just begun…


Hae Jang Chon is my current favorite all-you-can-eat (“AYCE”) Korean bbq. It’s not my favorite Korean bbq place, that spot is reserved for Park’s and/or Sa Rit Gol, but for an AYCE place Hae Jang Chon is pretty good. For $16.99 per person you not only get all of the pork belly, sliced brisket, and marinated kalbi that you want but that price also includes, but is not limited to, the following:

Cold fermented radish soup (this is so refreshing when you are cooking and eating bbq):


Kimchee pancake:


Spicy soybean soup with tofu (complete with the de rigueur chipped vessel):


Kimchee fried rice:



Take a peek at our brisket and the marinated kalbi:






I liked both of these meats. Once most of the fat is rendered off the brisket you don’t feel so guilty eating it. I usually don’t like marinated meats since the marinade is often too sweet and you can end up with candied meat. But at Hae Jang Chang the marinade on the kalbi has a nice balance of sweet and savory.

Considering that this place specializes in pork (I assuming this because of the cartoon of the very happy pig on the sign) I was surprised that the pork belly lacked flavor. It looked good though:


To eat with your meat you receive both pickled daikon radish slices and rice noodle sheets. You also get a really nice salad that has a wasabi dressing on it that complements the meat very well.


Four yummy dipping sauces to choose from: fermented bean paste, sesame oil seasoned with salt and pepper, red chile sauce, and a very nice vinegar based marinated garlic and jalapeno sauce. Note the stone grill. A friend of mine, who is originally from Korea, told me that this is a particular type of grill used in a certain region in Korea. It has been placed on an angle and it has a hole in it at the low end. Every now and then the server comes over and pours marinated radish on the grill to clean it and scrapes all of the liquid waste out through the hole. Another reason why my preference is for charcoal bbq.

Hae Jang Chon
3821 W. 6th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90020
http://www.haejangchon.com/

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger SensuousGourmet said...

This looks great! Haven't been to Korean BBQ in awhile.

12:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want one of those pancakes!

9:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Admit it, this post is labeled "Bi Rain" solely to drive up hits! :)

8:27 PM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Guilty as charged! But it's not working very well; I'm starting to believe that tags that are high fat, high carb are better draws.

9:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Rain is thin, and I can't speak for his carb intake. But I know from experience that posting pics of him works well.

10:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I used to get that spicy tofu soup for lunch sometimes, but I stopped because it would smell up the whole office . . .

8:02 AM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Hi, Sarah: I love that soup! I say the funkier the better (but it can smell like dog poop). I had some this week at another place paired with some grilled fish and I was in heaven!

10:20 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

ok, the pictures...as always, FAbuloso~ Well Done!! You are right on the taste of pork since it wasn't that great but other meats were good. I'd go back there again when I feel like pigging out..cuz for that price, it's not bad at all. hey, even the spicy jji gae was really good too with kimchi fried rice.

4:11 PM

 
Blogger simplyfaith said...

wow. ive got to try that. thanks for posting it! do u know if they have bulgogi as part of the deal too?

12:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very interesting dessert, any idea how it was developed?

4:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home