Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Friday, January 05, 2007

Gourmet or Gourmand? Part Deux


This is Pepper (maybe I should change his name [again] to Rasputin). Pepper likes to eat to eat things that are inappropriate, for a dog at least.

The culinary adventures of Pepper continues. What praytell has Pepper eaten lately? My spaghetti al tartufo that I received for Xmas; a bag of flour; a box of powdered sugar (I still can't get that damned stuff off of my kitchen floor!); two boxes of thank you cards; a two pound bag of raw basmati rice (Chyna was a co-conspirator on this one - don't ask me how I know); more Calabrian chile peppers; a box of food coloring (yes, it does stain your floors); a bag of frozen pelmeni; many packages of tortillas; a package of dried soba noodles; three calendars that I bought as gifts for Xmas (with the replacement gifts that I had to buy I should have just given him a hundred dollar bill to chew up!); and the list goes on and on.

The problem is that Pepper knows how to open my pantry doors. I tie them closed but sometimes I forget and he takes advantage. I'm really grateful that he hasn't learned how to open the fridge yet.

So, Dear Reader, the question is is Pepper a Gourmet or a Gourmand?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most definately, "Gourmand".

5:34 PM

 
Blogger Erin S. said...

forget gourmet vs. gourmand, howabout pain in the butt!! Luckily he's a cute lookin' dog....

7:39 PM

 
Blogger Heidi said...

i vote a bit of both. (:

and i agree he's cute as hell. and such a sweetheart.

10:40 PM

 
Blogger 75 Pounds Lost said...

He sounds like a toddler from hell. Can't leave 'em, but tough to love em. I had a dog who ate my left wedding shoe and an indian elephant...gourmand, definitely.

11:15 PM

 
Blogger janelle said...

Oh my god: Pepper! I was howling out loud!

Try boiling water on your sugar flour. Boiling water is amazing.

Man, picturing him chewing up thank you cards and peppers... too much!

11:31 AM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Hi, Raven and Anon: I have to agree that he is a gourmand but often times he eats some pretty upscale stuff (spaghetti al tartufo, chi chi calendars, etc.)

Hi, Erin, and thanks for stopping by my blog! I laughed so hard when I read your comment - pain in the butt indeed.

Hi, Heidi. Pep almost ate my Caramel Lovers Trio - I would have killed him. Luckily, I remembered to put away the cupcakes in time!

Hi, Fleagirl. German Shepherds are like toddlers! Luckily, for him, Pep has not eaten my shoes.

Hi, janelle, and thanks for stopping by! Peppers original name was Caesar but I noticed that he liked to eat my Calabrian peppers and had no adverse side effects so I came to the conclusion that he must really like them so I changed his name to Pepper. The peppers, molti deliziosi, I can understand, but thank you cards?

6:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that Pepper is giving you problems. My vote is for gourmet. Everything he eats is expensive. Maybe there is a way to train him not to do these things. Good luck.

9:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posed your question to my kitties---cuppajoe and macchiato. Their opinion: All dogs are gourmands and all cats are gourmets. To emphasize this point, they licked their butts and fell asleep.
Best Fishes,
Joe, Mac & The Cat Slave

9:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our German Shepard Kaysar who was the guard dog at my parents hardware store once ate through 20 plus packages of chocolate, cookies, fruitcake etc that was being sent out the next day for UPS. The lady who had made the fruitcake just laughed and said "at least someone enjoyed it"

8:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home