Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Friday, September 29, 2006

The Belmont - Sigh

My beautiful French Martini. Was it as good as it looked? Keep reading to find out.


Dear Reader, you do remember my last experience at The Belmont, do you not? I got charged $8 for a Virgin Mary; felt old, fat, and ugly; yet experienced the greatest macaroni and cheese of all time, so all was well in my world that night. This past Wednesday was Foreign Correspondent D's birthday, and you may think me a great friend for risking my self esteem to deliver her bday gift to her (a much needed sangria pitcher), but alas, I have a confession to make: it was all about the macaroni and cheese.

This time when I showed up (and I showed up late so I wouldn't have to sit there for a half hour staring at Les Jeunesse), I was smart enough to 1. order a drink right away, and 2. order something alcoholic. Oh, my drink was non-drinkable and for some odd reason kept expanding every time I took a drink from the glass (normally this might be a good thing but when you are trying to get rid of a drink it can be quite frustrating.)

So what was going on that night? The macaroni and cheese sucked! It was rather dry and I think that it didn't have any cheese in it - it tasted like it was made with a really weak white sauce et c'etait toute. Thank god that we ordered it before 7 pm when it was still half priced (even at $6.50 it wasn't worth it.) Not only that but the fish and chips, which I formerly had raved about, weren't very good either. It could have been a perfect night (it was FCD's bday, and there was noticeable lack of euro-trash on the patio) if not for the lousy food.




But wait! There was one good dish. The ahi tuna tartare was quite tasty (we added avocado for an extra $1)




Who is that sassy minx eating the tartare?

Please, no one hold my birthday party here. Please. Thank you.

I think that I need to start drinking that drink that E with a K orders - she always has a great time at The Belmont!

The Belmont
747 N. La Cienega Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90069

4 Comments:

Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Yes, they were tomatoes.

And I just realized that there was no bacon in the mac n cheese. Hmm, no cheese and no bacon? It was just glorified tuna cassarole.

10:14 PM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

There was no tuna but there was crab in it. I felt it was like a tuna casserole but I believe that even tuna casseroles have some cheese in them!

8:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just plain wrong. Tomatoes and crab in Mac & Cheese? Sounds like something my mother would do to try to get us to eat foods we hated.

If you're in SF go to Home on Union Street for basic, comfy, yum-yum mac & cheese. No surprises, and delish every time!

12:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to see some beautiful (extreamly beautiful) face on this site :)

TT

6:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home