Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Monday, February 04, 2008

Lucky Devils: Devilishly Delicious!

A preview of coming attractions:


Out of the two, I have always preferred 25 Degrees over Lucky Devils. It’s not so much for the food but for purely emotional reasons: the first time that I went to 25 Degrees I was very sad because my beautiful Mr. Darcy had passed away that day from a heart attack at a very young age. The waiter knew that I was upset, he didn’t know exactly why, and he gave me a free milkshake. I have always remembered his act of kindness.

But nearly two years have past and I can now emotionally jump into the Hollywood Blvd. Burger Battle. I recently revisited Lucky Devils (which is owned by the extremely gorgeous Lucky Vanous from the Diet Coke commercials) with some serious foodies to see which burger place is indeed the best.

My chocolate cake shake:


I was originally going to order the roasted pecan shake (it has reached the notoriety of the date shake) but since I had a migraine that afternoon I thought it prudent to stay away from nuts. My shake was just ok; the whipped cream was certainly delicious but there was too much on it and I pretty much got filled up before I could seriously sip the shake.

We discuss burgers, weight, and chili cheese fries:



A close-up of my perfectly cooked Kobe Blue Bacon burger:


The foodies really liked the burgers but the only complaint was with the bun which most felt wasn’t hardy enough in texture and taste.

Who doesn’t love devilicious chili cheese fries? These are made with Kobe beef chili:


The foodies did not like the plain fries at Lucky Devils. I remember that the last time that I ordered them I didn’t particularly like them either. But with some good chili, cheese, and onions smothered on them how can you go wrong? It’s a definite improvement but it’s going to cost you $$.

So which is place is better? In my opinion the fries (with a zillion dipping sauces) and the shakes (oh, how I dream of the Valrhona Chocolate shake) are better at 25 Degrees but the burgers (and isn’t all about the burgers?) are better at Lucky Devils. You don’t get as much variety in toppings at Lucky Devils as you would at 25 Degrees but what you do get is plentiful, high quality, and very tasty. Also, I’ve always gotten my burgers perfectly cooked at Lucky D’s but the last couple of times that I went to 25 D’s my burgers have been overcooked and dry.

Lucky Devils
6618 Hollywood Blvd.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger sku said...

Nice report.

I love pretty much everything about LDs...I think the fries are great, love the soft, buttery burger buns. The toasted pecan shake, though, is much better than the cake shake, and I think the serving size of french fries has gone down recently.

And BV, there is simply no such thing as "too much" whipped cream.

I've never tried 25 Degrees, so that is now on my list. There may be no combination of English words more magical and enticing than "Valrhona Chocolate shake."

10:55 PM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Hi, sku, and thanks for dropping by.

I didn't have a problem with the bun but I was the minority that day.

I normally don't like restaurant whipped cream but theirs was really good! It was so rich though.

Yeah, I'm getting a lot of flack for my declaration that 25 D's has better shakes.

12:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That. Burger. Looks. Amazing.

I'm more on the westside, so The Counter (and Father's Office, when I'm feeling brave) have been my burger stops of choice... but I think I really need to venture out to Hollywood to try LD's and 25 Degrees. Frankly, I feel like I have to think too much when I order at The Counter. :)

10:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't mind the bun at LD. I wouldn't need to write home about it, but it worked fine with my burger.

I agree, the idea of a Valrhona Chocolate shake is hugely enticing. I haven't been to 25 Degrees, but maybe it's time to go.

1:30 AM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Hi, Nina, and thanks for stopping by my blog. I really like The Counter and Father's Office. Out of all the burgers in The Great Burger Quest, my Counter burger was the best. Father's Office, although fabulous, was more like a steak sandwich.

Raven: My bun was fine too, and I'm glad that it wasn't on the sweet side.

Stay tuned for my "Do Fries go with that Shake" event at 25 Degrees!

11:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just add a big Slice of Anita's and Kutchie's Famous Key Lime Pie and you're good to go.

Adam

9:34 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

It just doesn’t get any
better than seeing the gorgeous “Mrs. Anita Pelaez” over at her and her
husband “Captain Kutchie’s” place..Some Folks Also Call Him..”The
KutchMan others call him The Kutchmon!”…Most Just Call Him “The Most
Interesting Man In The World”….(Anita and Kutchie Pelaez’s Key West, Key
Lime Pie Factory and Grill)…Just watching the lovely couple baking together all those Yummy
Key Lime Pies at their Key Lime Pie Factory and Grill in Asheville.
…It’s always worth the trip to visit them in they’re Historic Key Lime
Pie Factory and Grill…It should be on everyone’s bucket list for
sure..And The World’s Best Key Lime Pies!..YUM-YUM-YUM….­­.”Talk About
World Class” What An Understatement!…….AA­­HHHHH!….The Magic Of The
Lovely..”Mrs. Anita Pelaez” And Her Delicious Key Lime Pies Baked With
Pure Love…Always……40 Years And They’re Still Going Strong….

….May GOD Continue Blessing “Anita And Kutchie Pelaez” and They’re World
Famous Key Lime Pie Factory And Grill Where The Personalities, Ovens And
Smiles Are Always Warm And Inviting. “Kutcharitaville” You’re The Best We Love You!….

…Now You Know Who Is The Hottest!…And Baby Let Me Tell You, Mrs. Anita Is No Act…She’s The Real Thing Baby!…

….Located Near The Biltmore House And Estate…..
….Who Could Ask For Anything More?…Anita’s Key Lime Pie…(Hell Yes!)

7:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home