Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Restaurant Orgy Update

Below, the sake sampler at Mako in Beverly Hills (Dear Reader, you must think that all that I do is drink sake - well, you are right!)


On Friday, Vivacious Gourmet E had to reschedule our lunch so I didn't make it to Cafe Angelique. Instead, I went to the food court at 7th & Figueroa ("Fig") and got some Persian kabob (a girl needs some Persian kabob every now and then - wink, wink). Got right back on track Fri night with the dinner at Mako, but this afternoon at Kuala Lumpur I realized that I had forgotten my camera so I couldn't memorialize our totally foodie luncheon (boy, did I go with the right group!)

I had originally thought that Mako was an Izakaya but I was wrong; it's more like Asian Fusion and they serve fairly big portions of food. Often times I find that in Beverly Hills the food is not as good as what one may find east of La Cienega and you have to pay double or more for it as well. I thought that Mako was better than average, and while some things didn't work for me others were fabulous.

Below, the tuna tataki salad. This was quite boring especially when you've had the sashimi salad at Matsuhisa before (I have and that's the standard Dear Reader.)


Below, the calamari salad. Now this was good! The greens with the crunchy calamari and the great dressing made this one of my faves that night.


Below, duck pot stickers. These were really tasty and I wish that we had ordered more of them.


Below, the green beans. These were just ok; if you want the best stir-fried green beans go to Din Tai Fung.


Below, the pork belly special. The were out of braised black pork so we ordered this instead. The meat was very good but would have preferred a different sauce (it was like a tomato salsa.) For main courses we also ordered the cod (not as good as it looked), fried oysters, and the lamb chops (great flavor but could have been slightly more tender considering that they were rib chops.)


Below, the fabulous dessert platter. Now this blew me away! I'm not too big on sweets but what I tried on this platter was fabulous! That's butterscotch pudding in the bowl in front.


Below, a close-up of the mango ice cream. It had a wonderful flavor and texture.


Below, the dessert platter after we attacked it.


Mako
225 South Beverly Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
www.makorestaurant.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there and in general I think that I enjoyed the meal more than Bon Vivant did, though I agree it paled compared to Izayoi where I was also lucky enough to be. My favorite at Mako: the fried oysters, hmmm.

3:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you get the urge for intense mango sorbet, Ciao Bella is right up there.

6:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home