Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Park's BBQ

I know that these are fightin’ words but I’m going to say them anyway: move over Soot Bull Jeep! There is a new King of Korean BBQ in town!

Ok, maybe I’m being a bit premature. I recently went to Park’s BBQ and it was love at first site and bite. I declared it my new fave. But a few of my dining companions stated that the still liked Soot Bull Jeep better. Hmmmm. I don’t often go to Soot Bull Jeep, I think that it is good, but it’s not my favorite (Sa Rit Gol has held that spot for a while). So, let the Korean BBQ challenge begin! I will be revisiting Sa Rit Gol and Soot Bull Jeep in the near future and we’ll see how they stack up to Park’s.

But in the meantime, delight your visual sense in the world that is Park’s BBQ…

Our three dippies: coarse salt with toasted sesame seed; a soy based sauce with chiles; and fermented soybean sauce.

Panchan! I had such a case of Stendhal’s Syndrome that I didn’t get a solo picture of the potato salad (it’s at the 3 o’clock position) but it was fabulous. It was oil based (slightly, and no vinegar) with a hint of garlic.

The wonderful spinach with ground tofu and roasted sesame seed:

The Gae Jang (this stuff has a cult following):

The seafood pancake (this did not have a lot of seafood in it – I think that Sa Rit Gol will win this part of the competition):

Foreplay:



And the piece de resistance – the de rigueur #2 – prime kalbi (thanks, ipsedixit!):



A luscious piece of sizzling kobe beef:

One thing that I like about Park’s is that they let you keep the bone from the short rib which they don’t do at Sa Rit Gol (I think at Soot Bull Jeep they have an order of bones!)

Raven stated that she likes the tongue better at Soot Bul Gui Rim since it’s cut thicker; I’ll have to try tongue at the other places.

Not as expensive as I thought it would be. It came out to $25 per person with a hefty tip (the service here is excellent!)

And for dessert, some Pot Bing Soo at Ice Kiss. Woof!


Park’s BBQ
955 S. Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90006

Ice Kiss
3407 W. 6th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90020

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your review is better since you know what we ordered...

My Ice Kiss review is going up tonight!

10:46 PM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Raven: we are going to have to get tongue (very soon) at SBJ and Sa Rit Gol!

9:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in! As long as "very soon" means "in two weeks or later." :)

3:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm...I wish I can get a korean restaurant here in the city I live. :( Travelling 3 hours in a car with a 1 1/2 year old to a small real Korean restaurant run by French-Korean couple in another city will drive both of us crazy. Have to wait till we go to Paris.

8:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot to tell you that I left a msg for you on my Assam Fish post

8:19 AM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Cooking Ninja: I would love to have Korean food in France!

Thanks for the message re the assam fish; I think that I would like to use pomfret.

5:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a regular customer there. Easily the best Korean BBQ in town! And Ice Kiss is just wonderful-especially on a hot evening.

10:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is that sundae? It looks huge! And that kalbi looks absolutely amazing . . .

7:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all looks very interesting. (Great photography, by the way.) And the dessert is like nothing I've ever seen before. Have you decided for sure which restaurant is your current favorite?

10:54 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this place! The side dishes are excellent and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cold noodle soup on a hot day.
Now i have to try your other recommendations :-)

10:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home