Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Sean's Burgers, Yuca's Hut, and Burrito King - the Great Silver Lake/F'iz Burger Crawl

A preview of coming attractions:






On top: the Double Chili Cheeseburger from Sean's Burgers.

Middle: the Double Chili Cheeseburger from Yuca's Hut.

Bottom: the Double Cheeseburger from Burrito King.

I've been tempted to do a Silver Lake/F'iz (Los Feliz) burger crawl since reading two recent threads on the chowhound LA board. In the first one, lil mikey tells us of his burger adventures at Sean's Burgers (the new place that is now in the old Jay's Jayburger stand), and in the second, Burger Boy ponders the merits of a burger from Yuca's Hut and waxes nostalgic for the burger from Burrito King.

Sean's Burgers:





When I said "charcoal" flavor what I meant to say was "grilled" flavor (sorry, my mind must still be on charcoal Korean bubbaque). Speaking of grilled flavor, my next stop was at Yuca's:





Burger Boy mentioned that there was too much mustard on the burger. I have to admit I took my few bites from the perimeter of the burger and didn't taste any mustard; however, when I got the burgers home and dissected this burger, there was a huge splat of mustard right in the middle of Yuca's burger.

Burrito King:





I think that the best overall tasting burger was from Sean's but if I had ordered the burger from Yuca's without chili I think that one would have been best. The meat was of higher quality and it was really charred giving it a wonderful flavor.

While dissecting the burgers I couldn't help but notice how well Burrito King's burger held up: the lettuce on the other two burgers had already wilted but Burrito King's lettuce was still really crisp. If one just subbed Yuca's patties into the Burrito King bun and accoutrements, it would be a fabulous burger.

Sean's Burgers
4481 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90029

Yuca's Hut
2056 N. Hillhurst Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90027

Burrito King
2827 Hyperion Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90027

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first food blog I've seen where someone makes use of video and audio commentary. It seems so revolutionary to me and I am so impressed by your innovative approach.

Such a cool blog.

I'm glad I found it (via one of your chowhound posts.)

It made me wonder if you've ever considered a stop-motion/animation type video of, say, the burger disappearing bite by bite? I would really get a kick outa that.

thanks for your fab blog!

1:23 PM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Hi, MaxMillion. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I have to give credit to Henry Chan who gave me the great idea to post videos on my blog. It's really fun but even though I've just started, I am already bored by my approach. I am going to another burger place this Sat so who knows what will happen?

Re Mozza's Lasagne: Yes, I did really like it - I thought that it was skillfully done. I have had the lasagne at Angelini Osteria and each time the balsamella was undercooked and pasty. Although I prefer my balsamella to be custardy when baked, which it was not the case at Mozza to be honest with you, I still liked how the balsamella was creamy and went very well with the Bolognese sauce.

7:26 PM

 
Blogger e d b m said...

I love Yuca's burgers. They must be dipping that patty in the carne asada marinade or something. what's your next korean bbq joint to hit up? i'm going to try Park's BBQ on vermont next.

12:56 AM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Hi, eatdrink&bemerry, and thanks for stopping by my blog.

I think that you are right about Yuca's; their patties were so good that I think somehow they commingle with the carne asada. The patties were cooked very well: they were charred which gave them a lot of flavor.

It looks like maybe Suhrabal might be up next. I wanted to go to Park's and then it had to get reviewed in the LA Times. I'll wait until the guai loh lose interest.

10:26 AM

 
Blogger e d b m said...

haha watchout for the herd of Gwai-Lo's. They take things by storm.

7:31 PM

 
Blogger henrychan888 said...

that's awesome!! I love your videos!!!

9:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm... it all looks very yummy. First time I tried your video and it's a great blog technique!

1:43 PM

 
Blogger Afro Al said...

Cool blog,I think I want a burger now.

5:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw man..after seeing how the camera moves on that burger i want one too!! NOOT! imma make my own Burito King!

7:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home