Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I Have Found It! Hitachino Nest Beer!

Yes, I wish that a little elf would put bottles of Hitachino White Ale along the edges of my waterfall (although those pesky raccoons might steal the them) but I will have to do with the three places in LA that I've discovered carry this beer. Hey, I'm not complaining, I've been waiting a long time for this beer to hit this city.

I first had Hitachino Red Rice Ale in October '05 when I went to Momofuku Noodle Bar - the greatest ramen place on the face of the earth (see link to your right "Best Noodles on Earth"). I had one of the best meals of my life that night (this is saying a lot since I also went to Per Se during the same trip.)

You can find the White Ale and the Cedar Aged Ale at BottleRock, a new wine bar/store located at 3847 Main Street, Culver City, CA 90232. Vivacious Gourmet E and I discovered this place whilst shopping at the Culver City Farmers Market on Tuesday afternoon (it has just opened.) Unfortunately, I forgot my camera so I don't have pix that document our fabulous repast (will go back in near future so expect an entry for this place!)

You can find the Red Rice Ale at Wally's Wines located at 2107 Westwood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90025 www.wallywine.com

If you want some food to go along with your Hitachino beer try Buddha's Belly at 7475 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036 www.bbfood.com They only charge about $6 for a bottle (small) but it's a vast improvement over the $11 per bottle that I've paid at Momufuku Noodle Bar. I will be eating dinner at Buddha's Belly in a few weeks so expect a full report then!

5 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

rjooey!

11:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the white ale.
The aged cedar ale not as much.
kvxvxc

2:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I have been trying to find this beer for quite some time. The first time I had it was in NYC at the bar in the Mandarin Oriental and it cost like $10 a bottle.

Then I tried calling a US distributor for Hitachino Nest beer and found out that they were available at a beverage store in Marina Del Ray and too bad I forgot the name of the store. It's off of the 90 west somewhere. Anyone? Anyway, not too long after when I return to the store to get some more, they no longer carried it. They said the distributor has been changed or something and they needed to wait and see what was going to happen next. That was very disappointing.

Anyway, I'm glad to find out about these places you mentioned and would definitely try them out.

4:55 PM

 
Blogger me said...

We had the pink-colored red ale at The Hump, the expensive and mostly great sushi bar at the Santa Monica Airport. My boyfriend thought it tasted medicinal, while I kinda liked it, primarily for its crispness, not overly sweet, and clean flavor.

Thanks for the tip about Wally's, and I'm trying to locate the place in MDR that was mentioned.

5:54 PM

 
Anonymous Andrew Lee said...

West Hollywood Whole Foods

7:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home