Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Beacon, an Asian Cafe

Below, two views of the luscious yaki udon: glistening strands of udon noodles stir fried with slivers of tender pork, green onions, cabbage, and kim chee. The kim chee is what makes this dish for me - it highlights the other flavors (mostly bland) plus the funkiness of the kim chee gives this everyday dish a little oomph.




Beacon, although officially located in the City of Los Angeles, is a big part of Culver City's dynamic dining scene. Situated in the southern corner of the Helms Bakery Complex (right across the street from The Jazz Bakery and my favorite cheap steak frites place, La Dijonnaise), Beacon became, right from the start, not only a destination restaurant but a favorite with the locals as well.

Below, iced green tea and pomegranate sake. In the past I've had the pleasure of sipping the lychee infused sake as well as pineapple.


Below, the Beacon Roll: no rice nor nori, just salmon, crab, and avocado wrapped in a thin layer of cucumber topped with the distinct ponzu gelee and sesame seeds. I feel like Violet Beauregarde, before she inflates, as I chew one of these delicious little morsels: each component's taste comes through yet they all blend so perfectly with one another.


Below, a beautiful sugar snap salad with radishes and goat cheese, diffused with daikon sprouts.


Below, the delicate and very elegant avocado salad with mixed greens, cilantro, Tokyo negi (a Japanese green onion which tastes kind of sweet - the flavor reminds me a bit of fennel), and kuro goma (black sesame seed) with a rice wine vinaigrette.


One of my other favorite salads, the stir fried mushroom salad. I hate to admit this, but I never knew that this salad existed until I saw a Rachel Ray show (this is so embarrassing!) several years ago and she was knoshing on this salad. The next time that I went I ordered it out of curiosity and it has been one of my standards since. I especially love the flavored almonds and the marinated carrots.


Below, a carnivore's delight: a half pound burger with carmelized onions, bacon, and a posh cheese, and the meat has a sweet soy glaze on it.


Below, Les Beaux Cheveux, Esq. ordered the upscale Ring Ding for dessert. I am not from back east so I didn't know that a Ring Ding is a Ding Dong; had I known, I would have ordered one too since I am a Ding Dong fanatic.




Beacon
3280 Helms Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90034
www.beacon-la.com

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Fu said...

The burger and the dessert look amazing =)

how big was the burger? it looked kind of small, and how much did it cost?

1:35 PM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Hi, charlie fu, and thanks for stopping by my blog!

The burger is a half pound burger; it probably looks smallish since the emphasis in on height rather than width. It's $9.95 which isn't bad for an upscale restaurant burger (it's only available at lunch though.)

8:47 PM

 
Blogger Heidi said...

Girl, you have quite a way with words when it comes to describing food. It all looks (and sounds) delicious!

9:34 PM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Hey, Heidi! Ha, ha, I really overused thesarus.com on this one!

5:30 PM

 
Blogger SoHiH said...

And how many glasses of wine did the waiter drop on you?

CV

11:01 AM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Maestro:

That waiter, who is still there by the way, would never be able to drop that many glasses wine on me; I think he broke his own record on you.

10:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home