Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Sunday, October 01, 2006

A Pizza and Wine Tasting at Pitfire Pizza

Below, the beautiful and delicious roasted veggie plate with asparagus, yellow beets, squash, baby artichokes, greens, eggplant, and baby carrots paired with organic prosciutto and salami, Humboltd Fog cheese, and grilled bread. I could have made a meal just out of this dish but pleny more awaited us that night.


This wonderful evening that we spent at the Downtown branch of Pitfire Pizza was another of My Doppelganger's fabulous food coups: MD procured for us a tasting of six different types of pizza, each paired with a different wine, a salad, the aforementioned veggie plate, and dessert all for $30 per person, tax and tip inclusive.


Above, the Asparagus & Egg pizza and the Heirloom Tomato pizza. The tomato pizza was paired with a Sauvignon Blanc from Sonoma County (Rock Rabbit to be exact) and the pizza was a bit boring but it went very well with the wine.

The egg pizza was very interesting, a bit spicy even though the seasonings were roasted garlic and lemon zest. The prosciutto went well with both the egg and the asparagus. This pizza was paired with a French Rose which turned out to be my favorite wine of the night: it was nice and dry, most Roses I find to be too fruity, and went superbly with the pizza.


Above, the Veggie Anitpasto Salad. Some people were served salads with salami on top (?) but I was not. Still, it was a pretty good salad.


Above, the Big Sur pizza with garlic shrimp and Diedre's Bianca with greens, ricotta, and mozzarella. The Big Sur was the crowd favorite that night (it was very good even though as an Italian I cannot condone cheese on fish - a big no no!) and was paired with a Rhone varietal from the Sierra Foothills (the next big wine country in CA).

My favorite pizza that night was Diedre's Bianca because I just love the mixture of bitter greens with mild, creamy cheese (and it's ok to do in Italy too.) This pizza was paired with Boutari Moschofilero from Greece. I thought that this bottle looked familiar! I've had this wine at Papa Cristo's and thought it not very good; obviously, I was drinking it with the wrong food since it worked really well with the pizza.


Above, the Pitfire Sausage pizza and the Pacifica pizza with goat cheese and roasted garlic. Ok, so we're getting kind of drunk and full at this point of the evening so these pizzas were considered to be unremarkable compared to the first four. The sausage was paired with a Super Tuscan with a big barnyard smell and the Pacifica with Chardonnay from the Russian River (Olivet Lane) - see the wines below and my experiment with sepia tone. I really liked the Chardonnay which is saying a lot since I normally don't like Chardonnay.


I like that Pitfire is Downtown so that our group has another dining option after the monthly Art Walks.

Pitfire Pizza
108 West 2nd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love their heirloom tomato and asparagus egg pizza. so yummy. went w/friends and a few days later, we were jonesing for the asparagus egg pizza which was only available downtown.

12:54 PM

 
Blogger Heidi said...

Oh man, that looks good. If anyone is down for going there, I'm in!

9:42 PM

 
Blogger Russkar said...

Wow! I have to disagree about the Pizza? We tried Pitfire about 2 months ago and felt it was one of the Worst Pizza's ever!
We like Zucca or Pizza Next Door much better.

8:17 AM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Hi, russkar, thanks for dropping by. Didn't know that Zucca served pizza. Where is Pizza Next Door?

8:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm shocked! I thought only NYC has good pizza! Okay, maybe Italy. But those pizzas you tried look pretty darn good. Especially the egg one.

--Sarah

9:57 AM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Hi, Sarah. Thanks for stopping by.

Nothing beats eastern pizza! LA is not known as a great pizza town but some places have relatively good pizza.

11:03 AM

 
Blogger e d b m said...

Thanks for reviewing this place. I drive by this place all the time from Silverlake to Lil' Tokyo. Each time I'm like "i wonder how this place tastes." Again, the photos provide nice foreplay.

11:47 PM

 
Blogger Bon Vivant said...

Thanks for dropping by EDnB. Pitfire pizza is a nice alternative if you are downtown for an event. We were going to Full House in Chinatown but it's a drag to move the car (plus I kept getting no front license plate tickets there.)

I hope to review Pete's on Main and Fourth soon - I've heard that the macaroni and cheese is divine.

9:58 AM

 
Blogger e d b m said...

BV, I showed my friend who went to Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix your pizza photos. Looks similar. It takes 2 hours to get in here and the pizza looks fantastic.

http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/index2.html

11:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home