Bon Vivant's written and pictorial diary of her culinary adventures that will amuse and excite your virtual taste buds...

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Saturday, March 11th (Part 1) - Dim Sum Go Go

Off to Empress Pavilion on this very cold morning to My Doppelganger's tea tasting and dim sum event. Thank goodness she has acquired a private room because I would not want to be one of those poor schlubs waiting outside for an hour and a half for a table.

I leave a bit early because I don't know about you but je refuse! to take the M3 into that ridiculous parking lot in the Bamboo Plaza. I normally park on Broadway just north of the Plaza because it allows for a quick getaway. But it's Saturday and I notice that there are some parking restrictions on the east side of the street. Hmmm. But wait! Across the street in front of St. Peter's church there are no parking signs. So I put the car in gear and drive over to the other side. However, I'm not in the clear yet. Everytime I park in Downtown LA I get a no front license plate ticket (usually by the same guy; he must see my car - I have a very distinctive license plate - and yell, "yes!") so I say a quick prayer and then I'm on my way.

So today we are sampling five different types of tea: Jasmine, Chrysanthemum, Dragon Well, Oolong, and Pu-Erh. The dumplings arrive on huge platters and are far from dainty - they look like they've been exposed to radiation they are so big! Among the dumplings are the following: vegetable potstickers, fried shrimp, har gow, shui mai, and shrimp and scallop. We also receive huge platters of spring rolls, fried noodles with chicken, and vegetable fried rice. For dessert we have sesame balls and egg custard tarts which go quite well with the Pu-Erh tea.

Drink of the morning: Pu-Erh Tea (smells like Miracle Gro, tastes like dirt!)

Prayer of the morning: Blessed Saint Richard (Patron Saint of race car drivers and car enthusiasts), grant me thy help. I have need of this special favor and I call upon you for assistance. My request is for the parking enforcement not to give me a no front license plate ticket today. It is with faith in thy powers I ask thee, and with confidence in thy mercy and generosity towards my request. Amen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Henry said...

Great readding your blog

7:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home